Mark J. Mayers
Based in Seattle, WA
PC | Oculus Rift | HTC Vive | TBD
Desolus is an atmospheric puzzle game where you explore a city of Gothic architecture torn between multiple universes. Solve surreal puzzles by twisting architecture with black holes, and travel between dimensions to navigate impossible space.
Desolus is created by Mark J. Mayers, featuring an original soundtrack by Kyle Landry.
Mark created various prototypes of Desolus from 2015 to 2018, while also working a research position at MIT in artificial intelligence.
With his background as a Computer Scientist, Mark creates the worlds of Desolus using procedural art with themes involving surrealism, perfect geometry, inversion, and symmetry
In 2015 Mark partnered with the pianist Kyle Landry to create the soundtrack for Desolus. Kyle is renowned for his virtuosity as a pianist, and hosts popular YouTube and Twitch channels. Kyle works collaboratively with Mark to create the original soundtrack for Desolus, which is reminiscent of classical composers.
Mark is an avid member of the independent game communities in Boston and Seattle. He has shown the game at festivals nationwide, including an exhibit at the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
In early 2019, Mark left Boston to pursue development of Desolus full time while living in Seattle.
Desolus is currently in development. Press can contact Mark to request a build.
- Explore a hauntingly beautiful fractal-like city of immense interconnected Gothic architecture.
- Solve surreal puzzles by manipulating black holes to send architecture between universes.
- Seamlessly travel through portals which connect dimensions and impossible spaces.
- Listen to an atmospheric original piano soundtrack created by Kyle Landry.
Videos & Images
Title Screen YouTube
Please inquire regarding additional images and other press related media here!
Awards & Recognition
- "Nominated, Innovation in Art and Narrative" - Boston Festival of Indie Games, 2018
- "Nominated, Best Art & Best Soundtrack" - MAGFest, 2018
- "Official Selection, SAAM Arcade" - Smithsonian American Art Museum, 2018
- "Official Selection, The MIX" - PAX West, GDC, 2018, 2017
- "Official Selection, Digital Game Showcase" - Boston Festival of Indie Games, 2018, 2016, 2015
- "Official Selection, Indie Video Game Showcase" - MAGFest, 2018, 2016
- "Official Selection, Indie MEGABOOTH" - PAX East, 2016
- "The surreal visual elements combined with the classical soundtrack provided by Kyle Landry transport Desolus into a sort of dreamscape. The production value is astounding for an Indie team of one, and it’s clear Mark Mayers has been pouring his heart and soul into this project since he began it in 2014."
-Seven DeBord, Indie Hangover
- "The quality of work Mark continues to pump out at such an breakneck speed is remarkable."
-Jacob Wood, Indie Hangover
- "It’s a ridiculously beautiful game."
-James Cunningham, HardcoreGamer
- "A clever and beautiful game that plays with FPS expectations and seeks to deliver something a great deal more cerebral."
- Curation Team, Boston Festival of Indie Games
- "A solo developer with an ambitious game. Behind every independent game is a story unique to its developers."
- "The Evolving Design of Desolus", Made With Unity
Desolus Development Log
TIGSource devlog documenting the ongoing development of Desolus: forums.tigsource.com.
Kyle Landry Website
Kyle Landry's official piano website: kylelandry.com.
Kyle Landry YouTube
Original piano music and arrangements of popular media: youtube.com.
Kyle Landry Twitch
Sometimes Kyle plays piano blindfolded: twitch.tv.
Mark J. Mayers
Design, Programming, Art, Audio, Everything Else.