Mark J. Mayers
Based in Boston, MA
PC | Oculus Rift | HTC Vive | TBD
Desolus is a first person puzzle game created solely by Mark J. Mayers, with music by pianist Kyle Landry. Harness black holes to solve surreal puzzles, and traverse desolate architecture torn between dimensions. With reality collapsing, you must embrace the impossible to learn the truth. Experience Desolus on PC, or also with Virtual Reality on Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.
Mark Mayers began development of Desolus in late 2014, while attending Northeastern University. From 2015 to 2018 Mark developed prototypes of Desolus, while also working a research position at MIT in artificial intelligence. After leaving his position at MIT in early 2018, Mark pursues work on Desolus full time.
Inspiration for the art of Desolus comes from works such as the mind bending lithographs of M.C. Escher, the surreal paintings of Salvador Dali, the desolate landscapes of Caspar David Friedrich, and the contemplative and atmospheric films of Andrei Tarkovsky. With his background as a Computer Scientist, Mark creates the worlds of Desolus using procedural art with themes involving surrealism, perfect geometry, inversion, and symmetry
In 2015 Mark partnered with the pianist Kyle Landry to create the soundtrack for Desolus. Kyle is renowned for his virtuosity as a pianist, and hosts popular YouTube and Twitch channels. Kyle works collaboratively with Mark to create the original soundtrack for Desolus, which is reminiscent of classical composers such as Beethoven, Chopin, and Rachmaninoff.
Mark is an avid member of the Boston Independent Game and Virtual Reality communities. He has shown the game at festivals nationwide including IndieCade, the Boston Festival of Indie Games, PAX East, GDC, and MAGFest.
Desolus is currently in 'Alpha' stages of development. There are no public builds available, but press can contact Mark Mayers requesting a private build. A release date is to be determined.
- Harness black holes to solve surreal puzzles, and traverse desolate architecture torn between dimensions.
- Explore hauntingly beautiful environments and discover the secrets of a mysterious cataclysm.
- Listen to an atmospheric original piano soundtrack created by YouTube and Twitch sensation, Kyle Landry.
- Immerse yourself in the world of Desolus in virtual reality with Oculus Rift or HTC Vive.
Videos & Images
Title Screen YouTube
Please inquire regarding additional images and other press related media here!
Awards & Recognition
- "Nominated, Best Art & Best Soundtrack" - MAGFest January 2018
- "Official Selection, Indie Video Game Showcase" - MAGFest, January 2018, 2016
- "Official Selection, The MIX" - GDC, February 2017
- "Official Selection, Digital Game Showcase" - Boston Festival of Indie Games, September 2016, 2015
- "Official Selection, Indie MEGABOOTH" - PAX East, April 2016
- "Game Spotlight, IndieCade" - IndieCade, October 2015
- "Winner, Best Art" - Northeastern Game Showcase, April 2015
- "The surreal visual elements combined with the classical soundtrack provided by Kyle Landry transport Desolus into a sort of dreamscape. The production value is astounding for an Indie team of one, and it’s clear Mark Mayers has been pouring his heart and soul into this project since he began it in 2014."
-Seven DeBord, Indie Hangover
- "The quality of work Mark continues to pump out at such an breakneck speed is remarkable."
-Jacob Wood, Indie Hangover
- "It’s a ridiculously beautiful game."
-James Cunningham, HardcoreGamer
- "A clever and beautiful game that plays with FPS expectations and seeks to deliver something a great deal more cerebral."
- Curation Team, Boston Festival of Indie Games
- "A solo developer with an ambitious game. Behind every independent game is a story unique to its developers."
- "The Evolving Design of Desolus", Made With Unity
Desolus Development Log
TIGSource devlog documenting the ongoing development of Desolus: forums.tigsource.com.
Kyle Landry Website
Kyle Landry's official piano website: kylelandry.com.
Kyle Landry YouTube
Original piano music and arrangements of popular media: youtube.com.
Kyle Landry Twitch
Sometimes Kyle plays piano blindfolded: twitch.tv.
Design, Programming, Art, Audio